Saturday, November 17, 2007

small town quicksand

this is a song i do

I'm from a small town famous for teen piss wrecks, kids pushing prams and living on dole cheques. My old school captain works at best and less. You gotta move fast or rot with the rest. Ballarat isn’t for living it's just for growing up, stay living with mum, you get stuck in the rut. Every time I come back on mother’s day, everyone’s the same only the buildings have changed.

Sitting at my mums I’m flipping cable channels, I feel like a gun that just run out of ammo. No purpose now, just dead weight in your hand. I gotta get back to Melbourne and get back to the plan. My plan wasn't to watch will and grace all day. My plan wasn't to flush my life down the drain. But when I come back and spend a few days, that’s time that’s lost, that’s just pissed away.

Small towns are quick sand - it's slowly dragging you underneath.
Small towns are quick sand - it won't let you breath.

I'm from a small town called comfortability, where kids grown up but never seem to leave. Stay with ducted heating and home cooked meals. Never risk anything to live a life that’s real. Boring people pay board, real people pay rent, 23 years old and you haven't left home yet. Parents still tell you what to do, you can't bring a girl home, cause they'd hear that too. You have an arts degree you never seem to use, except when playing trivial pursuit. Spent fours years of life just studying to decide that’s not the field you want to be in.

Small towns are quicksand - filled with young dads and teen mums
Small towns are quicksand - if they'd left sooner, they might be someone

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nicely put, and sadly mostly true. I still haven't escaped from my small town, and the realisation that people in small towns really don't change, that the same vile festering racism, sexism and homophobia is still perpetuated makes me wonder what the hell I'm still doing here. They will always be boring and normal people. The few freaks who differ from that ugly norm will inevitably realise this and get the fuck out.

rockethuman said...

ahhh you'll never be a quicksand victim stacey you're way too cool. i really feel that if you achieve something with your life then you've beaten the curse. you don't really have to leave physically to leave mentally.