Saturday, November 17, 2007

monoploy on saving the world

At least once a week as I am rushing about delivering badges to bands, printing flyers and generally hurrying around in the sun I get approached by someone for money. Not beggars or junkies, who of course hassle everyone. And not big issue sellers who are business people in their own right but groups like Amnesty, green peace, UNHCR, and plan.

I fully support what these groups do and that they need money but sometimes I get so mad at the people trying to collect it. I will explain how I’m starting my own business and we are against sweatshops and how every cent I have goes to flyers and badge parts but most of them look like it’s not the most convincing story they have heard.

One guy from UNHCR was great, very supportive, I offered to make them free badges but he said they didn’t really have much of an image to be able to sell them. I offered free badges to one group but they just wanted me to sign up to a give $30 a month.

It's as if these people collecting in the streets for some great organizations never, ever considered that the average scruffy kid walking past might think that it’s up to him to save the world. It’s like they think they have a monopoly on saving the world and the only way I can contribute is with a cash payment.

I suppose that’s what really gets me that I myself am not an asset but only my money is. If they asked me to lend some time, some wit, my voice to their good causes I would because what’s in my wallet will never be the best I have to offer the world.

No comments: