Thursday, August 16, 2007

ethical business isn't just a philosophy

Hey all and welcome to what I ardently hope will be a very regularly updated blog about ethical small business. You see I’m trying to write a book, maybe published or maybe just for the net, but around 150 pages. So I though that by writing down my ideas and chapters here, that people would be able to give me feedback and ideas of what other info to include. I'm by no means an expert on business ethics and I don't have a degree in anything. But that’s why I wanted to do a book. So that it is practical and not full of bullshit fancy words that are totally hollow of actual meaning.

In my quest to write this book I’ve been doing research on the net to sort of find out the history of ethical business. As I only really know my history with it, but not the broader strokes. I went on wiki and was totally dismayed to find a lot of entries by people with business degrees debating back and forth about the philosophy of ethics and the like. Man it's just so much bullshit. What I want to write about is actual ethical businesses. Not some big corporation that has some piece of paper or ‘ethical charter’ saying how good they are when you can see clearly it's a fiction. I want to write about vegan bakeries and no sweatshop businesses. I hope you can understand that my ideas of business are of small business. Forget the bloody class room and the textbooks. This is about just being part of the battle to make the world better and doing it with the tool of business ownership.

The term I sometimes use is 'self funded activism'. That’s what I think true ethical businesses should be. It's not a niche market and it's not about corporate governance and all that. It's about people using business to push a political idea and ideal. A person doesn't set up a no sweatshop shoe company because there is a market out there; they do it because the idea of kids making the shoes they wear makes them feel sick. It's also to prove to the big business types that ethical business isn't an oxymoron. That you can make profit and do active good at the same time. You just have to think about things other than the bottom line.

So again welcome to this blog. Please, please, please comment on the sections that I’m writing, ask me questions and argue with me. I really want help in trying to get this book together. It intends to be a guide to help and inspire people to start their own businesses, so if that’s you tell me what information you need. Thanks.


-rocket
rocket@stayhuman.com.au
PO box 6045
hawthorn, VIC 3122

No comments: