Saturday, November 17, 2007

samurai

Cowards, consumers and capitalist. The world is filled with these. I fit neatly into the coward and consumer category. But I feel like many of you. Hollow. Sure these bright light tell me to buy, and I waste my life watching tv but I can’t escape the emptiness inside my chest.

In the 21st century we have so many choice of things to buy by no choices on which way to live our lives. There is no model of life other than capitalism. Even other ideas are based on politics and not on morality. I don’t believe in god so how can I turn the way of the church, which is nothing more than a comfort to most parishioners.

There is no heaven, but hell on earth is be lived by all the discarded people that live in the shadow of our capitalist paradise. I find myself longing for the codes and systems of the knights of old or for the samurai. These codes are outdated but at least they represent another way of operating within the world. Why must we be driven by the sole goal of accumulating money, you don’t take it with you when you die, it doesn’t make you happy and you become a monster in the effort to take as much of it as you can.

Wealth is limited, if you have more than a certain level then you are taking it from others. It sure doesn’t feel this way, since we can’t see the people we are stealing from but they suffer none the less. Can we in the 21st even imagine living a life of growing our own food, or of earning only enough to survive and get by.

The question becomes if we are not pursuing money and ever more ease and luxury what the hell no we do with our time. What is the ambition then that fills our hearts.

We come to the matter. What do we pursue if not money.

No comments: